PHA 6630 Hematological Focus
The course is intended to familiarize students with the provision of MTM in patients with hematological disorders that range from common to complex. The student will gain hands-on practice in the core elements of MTM for patients with hematological disorders, including conducting a comprehensive medication therapy review, generating a personalized medication record, designing a medication-related action plan, making pharmacotherapy interventions, and documenting the MTM service. The curricular threads of advanced pharmacotherapy knowledge, communication skills, and essential MTM business principles will be emphasized.
Degree seeking students: The student must have successfully completed Foundations of MTM I and II.
Non-Degree seeking students: The student must be admitted to the MS-MTM degree program as a non-degree seeking student.
This online course is tailored for asynchronous distance learners.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to demonstrate the ability to perform the following with respect to hematological disorders:
- Recognize areas of pharmacotherapy knowledge essential to the provision of MTM services.
- Identify clinical practice guidelines and current scientific literature pertaining to the provision of MTM services.
- Evaluate scientific literature for use in providing up-to-date, evidence-based, and cost-effective MTM services.
- Communicate effectively with patients when providing MTM services.
- Identify barriers to patient communication and design strategies to overcome those barriers.
- Conduct a targeted or comprehensive medication therapy review (MTR).
- Identify drug-related problems and recommend rational solutions based on a mastery of pharmacotherapy.
- Create a personalized medication record for an individual patient receiving MTM services.
- Design a medication-related action plan, taking into account patient abilities and preferences.
- Educate patients regarding techniques to improve adherence, decrease the risk of adverse drug reactions, and maximize appropriate and safe medication use.
- Communicate interventions effectively to physicians and other healthcare colleagues.
- Document MTM services in a manner sufficient for following patient progress, monitoring patient outcomes, and completing billing statements.
- Utilize sound business principles in the provision of MTM services.