The course will introduce the student to the business elements of medication therapy management (MTM), business plan development and creation, MTM models of practice, practice design, documentation systems, and basic financial principles needed for the successful provision of MTM. An interactive component of the course will involve discussions on all aspects of MTM practice and creation of an MTM business plan.
Syllabus: Download the Syllabus Guide
Course Format: This online course is tailored for synchronous distance learners.
The student must have successfully completed a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy or a Doctor of Pharmacy degree, and must be licensed and in good standing with their respective state Board of Pharmacy. The student must be in good academic standing with the M.S.-MTM degree program.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Create an MTM business plan proposal.
- Explain the importance of business planning, and review business/practice start-up.
- Compare and contrast various MTM service models.
- Perform and utilize a SWOT analysis.
- Assess the need for MTM services.
- Evaluate and assess the competition with regard to MTM services.
- Market MTM services effectively to stakeholders.
- Outline MTM service work flow and explain potential personnel implications.
- Use financial principles and projections to predict the long-term financial viability of an MTM service.
- Document MTM services using various methods, including electronic systems and platforms.
- Discuss the legal and regulatory considerations regarding an MTM practice.