The University of Florida’s online Medication Therapy Management (MTM) programs provide healthcare professionals with the practical skills needed to establish their own MTM practice or discover new career opportunities in community pharmacy settings, private practice, ambulatory care, managed care, MTM vendor companies and hospitals.
Classes are self-directed study, and students can engage with each other and their instructors through online discussion boards. Course topics include business models for MTM practices, billing, reimbursement and regulatory aspects. Students benefit from a thorough examination of basic business principles, including planning, marketing, management and finance, as well as in-depth courses on medication therapy as they relate to unique body systems, all of which assist in building a successful MTM service.
Upon completion of the graduate certificate program, students will earn a University of Florida Graduate Certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management. Students in the master’s degree program will earn a Master of Science in Pharmacy with a major in Pharmaceutical Sciences and a concentration in Medication Therapy Management issued by the Graduate School of the University of Florida. Your transcript will read Master of Science in Pharmacy, your graduation date, major Pharmaceutical Sciences - Medication Therapy Management. Your diploma will read Master of Science in Pharmacy, major Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Exciting Changes for the Programs:
- The online MTM programs are now open to multiple healthcare professions! The Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) recently indicated that MTM services were provided by pharmacists, nurses, physician’s assistants and physicians. We are excited to open this program up to additional healthcare professionals that are providing MTM services for patients.
- Starting with the Spring 2019 semester, we will offer a new online Graduate Certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management. This MTM-focused certificate is designed for those who are interested in medication therapy management but require a more time- and cost-effective alternative to our master’s degree program. The certificate is comprised of four 3-credit courses and does not require the GRE or proof of licensure. Topics in the certificate program include comprehensive medication management, literature review and evaluation, business principles of medication therapy management and patient-centered care.
- The Center for Quality Medication Management (CQM) at the University of Florida is now overseeing the online medication therapy management (MTM) programs. CQM has proudly been one of the premier groups offering MTM since 2010. CQM is comprised of faculty, clinical pharmacists and technicians that provide MTM services daily. The staff at CQM provides their real-world experience and knowledge to our MTM courses with the most current information available.
The Online Master of Science in Medication Therapy Management is designed to assist healthcare professionals in transitioning into careers within hospitals, managed care, MTM vendor companies, or community pharmacy settings. Encouraging patient adherence, students are educated in both the clinical and business aspects of MTM.
Over the course of the program, they learn:
- How to conduct physical assessments, evaluate medical literature, and communicate with patients and providers
- How to design an MTM practice, use proper documentation systems, and manage finances as an MTM provider
- How to improve patient drug adherence, which is key component of billing in MTM
The 33-credit master’s degree can be completed in as little as four semesters at UF. The asynchronous courses are designed to empower healthcare professionals to pursue a degree while continuing to practice. Students will complete two foundations courses before participating in extensive coursework covering the body systems.
The capstone course gives them the opportunity to apply and synthesize information learned during the second foundations class by developing their own MTM practice model.
Our online medication therapy management (MTM) graduate certificate is designed for those who are interested in medication therapy management but require a more time- and cost-effective alternative to our master’s degree program. This 12-credit graduate certificate is an effective way to develop your medication therapy management skillset and consists of four 3-credit courses that cover the following topics:
- Comprehensive Medication Management
- Literature Review and Evaluation
- Business Principles of Medication Therapy Management
- Patient-Centered Care
Upon completion of the graduate certificate program, students will earn a University of Florida Graduate Certificate in Comprehensive Medication Management. The graduate certificate can be completed in as little as two semesters and is a great way for pharmacists, nurses, physician’s assistants and medical doctors to gain knowledge in the medication therapy management field. Additionally, there are no GRE or proof of licensure requirements, and upon completion of the certificate, students can transfer 12 credits to the master’s degree program, if they are admitted and earned a “B” or higher.
How much does it cost?
UF’s medication therapy management graduate program offers a competitive tuition for students.
- Application Fee: $37*
- Cost per Credit Hour: $650 plus fees
- Credits Required for Master’s Degree: 33
- Total Master’s Degree Tuition: $21,450 plus fees
- Credits Required for Graduate Certificate: 12
- Total Graduate Certificate Tuition: $7,800 plus fees
*Master’s degree and graduate certificate applicants only.
In addition to tuition, students will have to pay University-assessed fees. Visit the University Bursar to see the current fee schedule. Fees set by the Florida legislature range from $30 to $50 per credit hour, which varies depending on the student’s enrollment status. Late payments may incur additional fees.
Non-Degree Seeking Students
Non-degree seeking students do not have to pay the application fee. Non-degree seeking students pay the same tuition rate as master’s degree students.
We do not accept UF EEP or Florida State Tuition Waiver, because this is an off-book program that does not receive funds from these programs.
Learn more about tuition and financial aid availability here. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.